Friday, October 29, 2010

Music

There is nothing better than a beautiful Fall day and a fantastic song to frame it. Nietzche said "Without music, life would be a mistake."


I hope you've had this feeling, dear readers,

Walking to class yesterday, I was enjoying the changing colours of the trees. I was also enjoying the tunes from my iPod, when it shuffled to the perfect song. It wasn't about Fall, it wasn't about changing colours, it wasn't really about anything at all, but it was a perfect song. It made me physically smile; my back straightened, my step quickened and adopted a slight bounce. If I were a little more eccentric, or at least a little more secure, I would have started dancing, right there. I even considered skipping.

Music does this. It tames the savage beast, soothes the soul, and can make my entire day, no, my entire life, change. I wasn't having a bad day, I wasn't having a spectacular. It was just an ordinary day made exponentially better by a single song on my iPod. It's the little things.

I cannot express how much I love music. How much it affects my life. And I don't always realize it. I no longer drive, seeing as my car is parked in Sault Ste. Marie and not downtown Toronto. This means I no longer have a solitary place to belt-out my favourite ballads, croon to my favourite country tunes, and sing my usual soundtracks. I sing quietly in my room, but I have no place to perform, and it's leaving my soul a little hurt.

In high school, I was asked to make a soundtrack to my life. The songs on that list have changed, and I'm not even sure any would make my list today (other than "Drive (For Daddy Gene)" and "I Hope You Dance".) It just goes to show how much things can change in such a little amount of time. I leave you with five songs I'm listening to now:

1.) Awake My Soul - Mumford and Sons
2.) Hurtin' Alberta - Corb Lund
3.) St. Andrews - Bedouin Soundclash
4.) #3 Roxburgh Street - Captain Tractor
5.) Another One Bites the Dust - Queen


Keep singing dear readers,

Cait

1 comment:

  1. I was singing "Another One Bites the Dust" in my head as I hiked on the Rathtrevor Beach trails yesterday. Kept me moving along.

    ReplyDelete