Monday, October 4, 2010

A Weekend of Hockey and Sleeplessness

Hello my friends,

Quick little update for you all today.  I realized I hadn't blogged anything since last week.  If my goal is to consistently blog and keep people up to date, a week of no blogs is not the way to do that!

Saturday night was probably one of the best evenings I've had since making the big move out here.  My cousin called me Saturday morning as I was walking around Kensington Market and offered me some sweet (and I mean SWEET) tickets to the Toronto v. Detroit pre-season game.  While I'm not really a Leafs fan and I am by NO means a Wings fan, I am a hockey fan and would never pass up the opportunity to see some guys on skates try to score ;)

My friend Beth and I arrived a little early to take in the atmosphere.  Air Canada Centre is definitely not Rexall Place.  For one, it's relatively new.  For two, there are definitely way more concession options.  For three, while the beers come in three different sizes (wussy, regular, and gigantic) nothing compares to my beer guy and friend, Wyatt at Rexall Place.  Service isn't as good, and there were no friendly faces to greet me with a cold one.

In terms of talent, Detroit is an extremely talented team.  Even if they only played their second and third liners (guys like Mike Modano and Nick Lidstrom weren't dressed) you can tell that Mike Babcock can really coach a team.  Toronto had a little flare, and they did win, but it was their top line guys dressed (Dion Phaneuf, Phil Kessel, etc).

After our little hockey outing, Beth and I wandered around downtown to peruse the "Nuit Blanche" exhibition.  An all night "arts" party, basically, there were exhibits, shows, etc all around Toronto and it was all free of charge.  We met up with another girl from our program, Jamie, and her friend, and walked around taking it in.  It was a little too busy for my liking, but City Hall was pretty trippy (lights, electronica music) and at Hart House on campus I experience one of the most awkward experiences I've ever had an an "art" show when the exhibition we saw was literally for us "viewers" to walk sideways between two naked women.  Weird.

Anyways, I have again rambled on, making this blog post a little too lengthy.  I am trying to work on my conciseness, I promise.  I've got another blog waiting in the wings about Sunday breakfast and another on my weekend plans for Thanksgiving merriment.  I will hopefully be able to blog my success at watching an Oilers game on television this week since CBC is broadcasting the home opener.

Until then dear readers,

Cait

No comments:

Post a Comment