Sunday, May 1, 2011

It's May 2nd: VOTE!

**If you enjoy this post, please VOTE and consider sharing it via email, Facebook, Twitter, or whatever social media or traditional media you favour. Get your friends, family, aquaintances, roommates, coworkers, the people in your life to VOTE!**

 Hello All,

So while I may have been neglecting this blog, I have not been neglecting my interest in this election. I had grand plans for this last election post. I was going to tell you why you should vote. I was going to tell you how you could vote. I was also going to tell you who I am voting for. I'm going to do all of these things, but not in the majestic way I had imagined.

It is currently 10:18pm in Ottawa, ON where I am now living for the summer. My internship for my program starts tomorrow so I can't really spend three hours writing what I really want to write. So I'm going to give it to you plan and simple.



1) Why you should vote.
       a.) You have a right to vote.
       b.) You have the privilege to vote without being threatened,
       persecuted, or killed for doing so.
       c.) Millions upon millions upon millions of people have fought and
       died for the right to vote and to take part in the democratic process.
       Many of these people died long ago, but even today in places like
       Egypt, we are seeing people die for something you get to do
       tomorrow for free and without violence.
       d.) This is your life and your country for five more years. How do you
       want to spend that time?
       e.) Politicians (mainly the Conservatives, but not just them) have
       shown disdain for democracy and the rules we govern ourselves by.
       Vote to express how much living in a free and democratic society
       means to you.
       f.) It's your civic duty.
       g.) As a Canadian, you should feel proud to cast a ballot for your
       representative. It's the polite way of telling those who hold power
       how much we dislike or like how they wield it.
       h.) If you don't vote, then how do you legitimately complain about
       how the government is taxing you too much, is not providing
       adequate services, is ruining the environment, is ignoring farmers/
       students/seniors/teachers/doctors/nurses/municipalities/etc, etc.

2) Where you can vote:
       This will differ depending on where you live. Best bet, go to the Elections Canada website. They have all the information there. When in doubt, CALL THEM! (1-800-463-6868) Every citizen has a right to vote and Elections Canada is there to ensure that that right is fulfilled. Your only option to vote now is to go to your polling station and cast a ballot. Make sure you bring valid government issued ID with your address on it. If you don't have that, there are two other options:
       a.) bring two original pieces of authorized identification (full list
       of what can be used is found here)
       b.) Take someone from your polling station who is eligible to vote
       and can prove it with ID or option a.) and get them to swear an
       oath that you live in your riding.

Like I said, though: If you have ANY questions or are confused about anything related to the process of voting, CALL ELECTIONS CANADA!!! One small phone call could make all the difference.

3) Who I am voting for:
       And now we get to the juicy bit. For those of you who know me, you've known all along that I am a member of the Liberal Party of Canada and had planned to vote Liberal. This has not always been the case. I voted for New Democrat Linda Duncan in Edmonton-Strathcona in the previous election and help elect the only non-Conservative member of Parliament from Alberta. That was a strategic decision. I knew a vote for Duncan would be a vote against the Conservatives and vote that could make a difference. I was right.
       I considered voting strategically this election as well when I thought I'd be voting in Trinity-Spadina in Toronto, ON this time around. In that riding, a vote for NDP Olivia Chow would have ensured a non-Conservative seat (though as I understand it now, the Conservative in that riding is not really a contender).
       I am, however, voting in Ottawa-Vanier tomorrow and I will be voting Liberal. Not because it's strategic, but because I believe the Liberal Party of Canada has the best plan for the country. Let's forget about the policy for a moment and allow me to be hyper-partisan for a few sentences.

       Stephen Harper and the Conservative Party of Canada are leading this country, MY country, down a very dangerous road filled with social and economic conservatism, fear and hatred of criticism, disdain for democracy and this democratic nation's citizens, and selfish, underhanded motives. The Conservative Party has made a lot of hay out of Michael Ignatieff's work experience abroad. They question whether he's "Here for Canada." My argument is this: Stephen Harper, having spent all of his time in Canada is NOT "Here for Canada," he is here for himself and his ideology. Granted, most politicians are, but in Harper's case, it's about power and it's about his agenda and not necessarily even his party's. He keeps a tight lid on his cabinet and refuses to listen to criticisms that come from allies. He sees the media as a nuisance to his end goal (whatever it may be) instead of a legitimate tool to ensure the legitimacy and accountability of government. All in all, a country run by Stephen Harper, even in a minority setting, let along a majority, is an extremely terrifying scenario.

       On the flip side of why I'm not voting Conservative, is why I am voting Liberal. I like their policy on education and how every student should be given money, regardless of their family economic background. I like the pragmatic approach to tax policy and while I think corporate taxes could still be higher without threatening a lot of our competitiveness, the plan to maintain rather than cut corporate taxes is a step in the right direction. The party's environmental policy is fair to Alberta's oil sands while still trying to decrease the environmental damage of producing the resource. It also provides individual citizens an opportunity to effectively make small changes which, when added together, could make the biggest difference in fighting climate change. I could go on and on about what I think the Liberal's are doing right (I could also expand on where I think they could improve, but of all the parties, I believe the Liberals have the shortest fault list).
       On Michael Ignatieff specifically, I am a firm believer that he would do wonders for this country. I think he's a realist that has the well-being of Canadians firmly implanted in his vision for this country. I think he has the intelligence to deal with tough decisions that will face us in the years to come (Health Care and Climate Change being only two of the many). I also believe that he can restore our international reputation as a well-travelled man who understands global politics. I've had the honour of hearing him speak as an academic and as a politician. I've read several of his pieces and seen his documentary on Quebec. I've been able to see Ignatieff from several different angles, and I believe that he could be the best thing this country never knew it could have. 

       So, to end, this blog fully endorses Michael Ignatieff and the Liberal Party of Canada.

Who will you endorse? And who will you vote for? I don't care who it is. I honestly don't. I know some people would rather certain people stay home so that their opponents don't get elected. I think that's bulls**t (pardon my cursing). Yeah, I'd prefer if the people going to vote tomorrow were voting for anyone other than the Conservatives, but living in a democracy means that I will live with the decisions that the majority of the citizens make. Because I voted, I then get to spend the next few years between elections trying to hold the government to account and then finally trying to sway others to change their minds in the next election.

So, VOTE, will you? Please!

Cheers,
Cait

1 comment:

  1. Proud to say that I already voted before going on vacation to the U.S. Wish I was home to experience this election first-hand.

    ReplyDelete