Saturday, March 12, 2011

How Could I Be So Stupid?

I guess I have a lot on my mind. Two posts in one week! Both on hockey.

Yesterday evening I had a Skype session with my mother. While we discussed a lot of things, the one that stands out in my mind is an argument we had about Zdeno Chara and whether his hit on Max Pacioretty was intentional or not.


Now, those of you who know me, know that I have a hard time admitting that I'm wrong. Even in the face of a good argument, I can be stupidly stubborn and unwilling to admit that I could have erred.

So it'll be refreshing to hear me say, "I erred last night."


I argued that the Chara hit, whole violent, was not as intentional as some are making it out to be. We're only discussing it because of where it happened on the ice. A few feet up the ice, or somewhere along seamless boards and this wouldn't be a story. Yes, Chara intended to hit Pacioretty. Yes Chara intended to hit him hard (at 6'9" it's hard not to hit a guy hard).

I still believe that he didn't intend to injure Pacioretty like he did, but the hit was more violent than it needed to be. Something needs to happen to the game of hockey if Canadians can remain proud of our sport.

What changed my mind?

1) My mother used the "Bertuzzi Card."

Last night I argued that the Chara hit was different than Todd Bertuzzi's hit on Steve Moore. It wasn't. I have always said that Todd Bertuzzi should never have been allowed to play hockey again. The same may go for Chara once the extent of Pacioretty's injuries are assessed. I don't think Chara intended the outcome of his hit And it takes a big step for me to admit that I don't think Bertuzzi intended the outcome of his. (To clarify, I never thought Bertuzzi intended to break Moore's neck, but I struggle to believe that he didn't intend to injure him). Both players, knowing their size, their strength, and the dangers of the game, should be held accountable for their actions and should understand how their play will affect the payers they play with.

Chalk up a win for my mom for showing me, once again, that I should always listen to her advice.

2) Ken Dryden's article in the Globe and Mail.

Read it. It's fantastic.
How could we be so stupid?
How could I be so stupid?

When the Oilers aren't playing well, I usually says that the more physical they are, the better they play.

It's true. But maybe that should change in general about the game. The game is dangerous, yes, and it always will be to some extent, but we can make it sager if we go back to emphasizing skill rather than brute force. (i.e. No more "fighting summer camps" for young hockey players run by Derek Boogard)

3) Another Globe and Mail article by John Allemang.

He gives several suggestions as to how the game can change to protect its players. I don't agree with all his suggestions, but it's a serious conversation the league, its owners, its general managers, its coaches, its players, and its fans need to have.

My favourites of his suggestions:
a.) Ban head hits
            - No exceptions
b.) Treat violence as violence
            - There's a difference between physical play and violence. Pay
              attention to it.


So, may I swallow my words and my pride, take the foot out of my mouth, and condemn myself for being so stupid and so stubborn.

Cheers,

Cait

1 comment:

  1. I always knew I loved Ken Dryden! I also liked the column by John Allemang. I don't think all of his ideas would work (No boards? I'll gladly sit in the nosebleeds!) but they are food for thought. The comments to his article are pretty funny. I especially liked the guy who said he lost two IQ points just by reading the article. I contend that those are two points he really can't afford to lose.

    ReplyDelete