Thursday, March 17, 2011

His Anger? My Anger

Politics today, dear readers!

The Globe and Mail has an article on their website today that looks at three of Canada's national parties pre-election. "How the parties stack up before the writ" takes a candid snapshot of a party's message, state of readiness, target audience, and what their leaders need to work on (which I read as their biggest weakness).

Fine. Great. I think it's important to take stock of the key players running up to an election.

However, I take issue with the piece's definition of Michael Ignatieff's weakness:
"His anger. Passion is good but in a scrum Friday, Mr. Ignatieff overdid it, gesticulating and raising his voice."

Passion is good. I also think anger is good. Why shouldn't Ignatieff be angry at his opponents for what he sees as deficiencies in governance? The problem with politics in Canada today is that politicians and our public figures are expected to tone down their rhetoric, hide their personalities, and shy away from being too controversial. This is all in an attempt to piss off the fewest amount of people and gain the greatest amount of votes from an increasingly disinterested public.

In 2008, Canada saw only 59% of its citizens go to the polls and elect a minority Conservative government. This is the lowest, the lowest, turnout we've ever experienced as a country, and when I read comments like the one above, I can see why. "His anger." His anger? I can think of several other aspects of Michael Ignatieff and the Liberal Party of Canada that they need to work on.

"His anger." I'm appalled. I can't express how appalled I am. Can't we talk about the Party's inability to sell its ideas effectively? Can't we talk about the obviously staged, and incredibly inauthentic pictures of Ignatieff skating on the Rideau Canal? To be fair, all the parties have these photos, the most recent being Stephen Harper lying on the floor next to a student who passed out during one of his speeches. Can't we talk about how only recently the Leader of the Opposition has been able to find his voice?

About two and a half years ago, I went to a dinner event at which Ignatieff was the keynote speaker. It was a great speech and was full of ideas. It spoke to me, but I doubt it would have spoken to anyone outside of that room as most of us were already convinced. It lacked a certain appeal that is required of national figures. He was Harvard Ignatieff. He was Journalist Ignatieff.

A few weeks ago, in comparison, I saw him speak to a group of young Ontario Liberals. His voice, his passion and the fire behind his actions have completely changed. He's ready. He's found a voice that I believe will be far more effective in reaching Canadians. He was Michael Ignatieff.

"His anger." The quote from Ignatieff during that scrum was needed. He is angry. I am angry. Liberals are angry. A good chunk of Canadians are angry.

"His anger"?

My anger.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Also, I'm thinking it's a questionable photo op for Harper posing, lying on the floor beside a student who had just passed out after hearing him speak - boredom, fear, frustration? All of the above?

    ReplyDelete